Is a burglar alarm enough? Security tips to protect your home.
- October 18, 2022
- 7:18 am
Properly securing one’s home is often easier said than done. There is not only a daunting choice of products available but also several essential precautionary measures to implement.
Research to find out which features and systems are the most efficient that are best suited to your type of property.
Nowadays, having a good alarm system is an essential factor if you are selling your home or want to find a good tenant, but experts advise that the most effective way to prevent criminals from gaining access is a layered security system.
This includes perimeter electric fencing, security beams in gardens, passive sensors on exterior doors and windows, security doors on sliding doors and burglar bars on windows.
Try these tips to add extra security:
- Ensure that the alarm wiring is concealed, as burglars will always try to locate where they can disconnect the system.
- Your house should appear occupied at all times and the simplest way to do so is to use timers to switch lights and radios on and off when you're not at home.
- Try to test your alarm at least once a month.
- Door hinge pins are very easy to knock out, therefore, reset the hinges so they are inside.
- Install wireless alarms that are activated when doors or windows are opened.
- When installing a window lock, drip some solder on the screw heads, it will prevent a burglar from being able to unscrew the lock.
- Motion detector lights outside are a proven crime deterrent.
- Keep hedges and bushes trimmed, they are handy hiding places and keep windows or doors free of trees.
- Change all the locks as soon as you move into a new house as you don’t know who had access to the keys before you moved in.
Don’t forget that security begins beyond your property wall so it’s important to take an interest in what goes on in your neighborhood.
Sourced by: Property24
Recent blog post